The Poultry Paddock has teamed up with local food business Keepers Cottage Organics to rear and process fine quality poultry products. This includes Free Range Organic Chickens for roasting and Chicken portions. We also produce Turkeys, Ducks and Geese for Christmas and Thanksgiving celebrations.
Our Organic Chickens are available monthly, generally on the first weekend of the month. You can buy them at the following outlets:
- Directly from ourselves – local delivery available
- From the farm shop at Staffordshire Organic Cheese (open on Fridays) – pre-order required
- Rhode Hall Farmers Market (first Saturday of the month)
- Treacle Market (Macclesfield, last Sunday of the month)
- Abbey Leys Organic Farmers Market (first Sunday of the Month)
Our Chickens are certified as organic by the OF&G, Organic Farmer and Growers.
Feel free to call Howard on 0782 118 7160 or Katie on 0775 380 1369 for more details.
Free Range Organic Chickens Vs Conventional Free range – What is the difference?
Poultry Paddock is establishing organic poultry production at new House Farm in Acton. It is our mission to rear poultry to the highest standards. This is better for the birds and it is better for you. Organic poultry production requires the highest standard of animal welfare. These are the main differences compared with conventional free range production:
- Smaller flocks, so less stressful communities of chickens
- Slower growing breeds. So hens are healthier, better equipped for a genuine free range lifestyle and the meat has more taste and texture
- Non-GMO diet. The chickens do not eat any genetically modified feed
- More space in the houses. So less stress, less bullying and healthier chickens
- More space on the range. so more pasture that they forage on
- No routine use of antibiotics
- No mutilations such as beak trimming or wing clipping
- Grazing on organic pasture, farmed for many years without synthetic fertilisers, pesticides or weedkillers
- We rotate the pasture regularly so that the land recovers. Consequently parasites and nitrogen do not build up in the soil
You can read about how we built our mobile poultry units and set up organic production here: Our Organic Project